Chuck Rich Properties

Chuck Rich

2914 S Greenwood Drive
Johnson City, TN 37604

Frequently Asked Questions

 If you find that your question is not answered on this page please contact us.


What is the process for renting an apartment?
We recommend checking with us about 30 days prior to your expected move-in date to find out what apartments will be available at the time you want to move.

Once you have chosen an apartment that you want, completed an application for each adult tenant and submitted along with a copy of the applicant’s driver’s license (with photo) or other government issued form of photo identification and your most recent three (3) months of paycheck stubs as proof of employment & income.  There is a non-refundable $30 fee with each application.  (See Application page for more details.) If your application is approved, the next step will be to sign a lease.

Does the property management run background and credit checks?
Yes. We run a background and credit check on all applicants.  Proof of employment and income must also be provided (most recent three months of paycheck stubs) and minimum income guidelines must also be met. Applicants cannot have any prior criminal history and your credit score must be at least 600 with no collection activity or bankruptcies reported.  Income must be three or four times rent depending on family size. (Please note: unmarried couples and roommates cannot combine income to meet the income guidelines, each adult tenant must qualify on their own.)  A co-signer and additional deposit may be required if there is no prior rental history, no (or poor) credit history, insufficient income or less than one year of full time employment history.

I’m self-employed. How do I prove my income?
For self-employed applicants we require three years of tax returns (1040 and Schedule C) along with three months of your most recent bank statements showing regular/recurring monthly income.

When can I put a deposit on an apartment and how long will a deposit hold an apartment?
You may place a deposit at the same time as your application (or any time after your application is approved) and the deposit will hold an apartment or house for up to 30 days but for no longer than 2 weeks after a property is available for move-in.  You must start your lease within that time or you forfeit your deposit. If you submit a deposit with your application, you have 24 hours after your application is approved to change your mind and get your deposit back. Deposits are non-refundable 24 hours after received or 24 hours after application approval, whichever is later.

Do I need a co-signer for the lease?
Maybe. A co-signer is required for all undergraduate students. A co-signer and additional deposit may be required if there is no prior rental history, no (or poor) credit history, insufficient income or less than one year of full time employment history.  There is a $15 fee associated with the required completed application for each co-signer and the co-signer must also meet our minimum credit requirements and minimum income guidelines. Please note: student loans, grants and other forms of student financial aid will not be considered as proof of regular monthly income.

What is the average electric bill?
Costs vary by user and apartment, but typically range from approximately $75-80 per month and upward.  The electric utility provider for all of our properties is the Johnson City Power Board.

What utilities are included in the rent?
Water, sewer, and trash services are included in the rent for all of our apartment complexes.
Our Blakemore Court property includes all utilities, basic cable and basic high-speed internet..
Our Boones Creek Villa property includes basic cable and basic high-speed internet.
The cable provider for all properties is Comcast.
We do not allow outside antennas or satellite dishes at any of our apartment complexes.

Do you rent to freshmen undergraduate students?
No.  We do not rent to freshmen undergraduate students.
(Student restrictions vary at most rental houses. Please see individual rental house pages for details.)

Are leases for less than one year available?
Yes, for select properties, we offer 6, 9 or 12 month leases.  Contact the office for availability.  All pricing listed on our web site and marketing materials is based on a one-year lease.  There will be additional monthly fees for a lease of less than one year.

What is the difference between a “Garden”, “Flat” and “Townhouse”?

    A “Garden” apartment is a single-level apartment (all rooms on one floor) and it is in a one story building so it does not have any other apartments above or below it.  Most (but not all) “Garden” apartments have few (if any) stairs leading into the apartment.

    A “Flat” apartment is also a single-level apartment (all rooms on one floor) but it is part of a two-story building so you will have neighbors above or below you. Most “Flat” apartments will have stairs leading into the apartment including “Flats” on the 1st floor of a building.

    A “Townhouse” apartment is a two story apartment with the kitchen and living room on the 1st floor and the bedrooms and bathroom on the 2nd floor. All “Townhouse” apartments have stairs in the apartment and some (but not all) have stairs leading into the apartment.

Are there special rules for leases starting in August?
Yes. Due to the number of new residents requesting August move-in dates, we require that all leases with any August move-in date must start on August 1st.  This means that even if you move in during the middle of August, your lease must start (and you must begin lease payments) on August 1st.

Do you accept credit/debit cards for payments?
Yes. But there may be a fee to use your card. You can pay your application fee and security deposit with a credit/debit card with no additional fee.  Rent & other payments made by credit/debit card will be assessed a 3% convenience fee.  We accept Visa, MasterCard and Discover. To avoid additional fees we recommend that recurring monthly rent payments should be made by personal check, cashier’s check or money order.  We do not accept cash at the leasing office for security deposits or rent payments.

Can Payments be made on line?

Payments can be made on line through our on-line software. The office will provide you details once you are a resident.


Still have questions?
Contact us and we’d be happy to help!

(C) 2015 Chuck Rich Properties - All Rights Reserved
2914 South Greenwood Drive, Suite 17
Johnson City, TN 37604
Telephone: 423-926-2100 - Fax: 423-926-5530